Critical Reflection Week 13

 

Module learning:

Starting of the module, my main aims were to better understand the art of public speaking and have more meaningful and effective conversations with my peers in class through critical thinking and empathy. Throughout the 13 weeks in the module, we’ve had countless number of presentations and public speaking opportunities, and I can now confidently say that I possess more technical ability and courage when it comes to public speaking. One key point in presentations and public speaking I have picked up is the preparation before it, the planning of the execution, the knowledge and pointers that I will need to share about and last but not least the flow of the presentation has to be adequate before one can step up to give a good and confident speech. I have also realised the importance of the PEEL framework where I can construct my delivery of points in a structured and comprehensive way as it allows me to link my opinions and facts with evidence. Besides the opportunities to learn more about public speaking, I have also grown increasingly comfortable with sharing about myself and have critical thinking conversations with my classmates, which gets increasingly important as we move on in our worklife. In a nutshell, I am positive about my upward growth in my communication skills as well as in my public speaking and presentation confidence.

 

Project learning:

I was tasked by my group leader to manage the technical aspect of our project, the Lenslot. The technical aspect of the project is highly important as it entails the background of our product and its ability to make students’ lives easier. I was astounded by the amount of information that was available on the internet and I knew I needed to focus on the ones that were important and relevant to our target audience. However some information I sourced for were inaccurate and inconsistent, and I needed to cross reference from other websites and databases to verify its authenticity. When preparing for our presentation, our group discussed and decided that we will not want to memorize scripts because we wanted our presentation to be a business concept related one, therefore we chose to put as little words as possible in our slides to make it look more professional. Having the technical part of the presentation only means I would have to go in-depth about the details of our product and had to make sure the audience understands the parts and uses of our product, therefore the elaboration work during the presentation was one I had difficulties with. Through this project, I could conclude that I have the patience to research and vet through information but on the flipped side I have trouble remembering too much details when it comes to elaborating it to the audience. Afterall, this is a continuous learning process, and I am eager to continue on this journey of learning about communication.

Comments

  1. Thank you very much, Siew, for this interestng and insightful reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Introductory Blogpost

THIS QUOTE AH? I KNOW I KNOW

The EA888 Engine Summary Reader Response Draft 1 750words